Next steps for Face-to-Face Tournaments (from the ACBL, April 15, 2021)
Dear District and Unit Presidents and Tournament Chairs,
As we move further into 2021, we wanted to update you on the requirements for face-to-face tournaments and
the procedure for event approval.
Below is a description of policy, and you may
for an accompanying breakdown of information.
Beginning on August 1, 2021, the following sanctions will be allowed to move forward:
- Intermediate/Newcomer Sectionals and Downgraded Sectionals (i.e., Sectional Tournaments that do not
require ACBL staff)
For all other tournament sanctions, our team will review each event and give approval on a case-by-case
- The ACBL will evaluate each tournament at the 100-day, 60-day and 30-day marks (before the tournament
- In order for the tournament to be held, all criteria will need to be in the green zone
(see PDF for details)
by the start of the tournament. Therefore, the status needs to be trending to that by the 30-day mark.
- These evaluations will help decide if/when you will need to cancel your venue, or in extreme cases, where
ACBL will decide they will be unable to staff the event.
You will note that some of the criteria to be used for the team's decisions are subjective. This is done
intentionally as we know there are many unique situations around the League. Also note that the size of a
tournament and the breadth of the projected attending geography will also be a major factor.
The final decision rests with ACBL. Our primary concern and overriding principles will be based on the
safety of our players, staff and volunteers.
For tournaments that do proceed, the following will be MANDATORY:
- Vaccination: All staff, players and volunteers must be fully vaccinated and provide proof of such
- Face masks: All staff, players and volunteers must wear approved face masks at all times when within the
- Table spacing: Tables must be set at a minimum of 11' centers, in other words, at least 8' apart.
- No food or drink may be distributed except for individual "grab and go" types of servings tha
t are covered and can be taken without contact from others. (Example: Individual servings are allowed. Having
coffee with communal cream containers and sugar is not allowed. A volunteer or paid assistant may serve coffee
such that only one person is handling these items.)
- Exceptions may be made to the vaccination and face mask mandates due to qualifying medical conditions or
firmly held religious beliefs. These exceptions will be determined by ACBL in conjunction with the
tournament sponsor on a case-by-case basis, and accommodations may be made if they do not create an undue
hardship on ACBL and/or the sponsor or pose a threat to others in the playing area.
Local organizers MUST supply the following:
- Face masks for those who neglect to bring one (note: you may charge a nominal fee for these)
- Hand sanitizer available throughout the playing area
- An "Event Safety Coordinator" who shall be responsible for ensuring all these measures are met.
Please note that this will include coordinating the effort of checking proof of vaccination and monitoring
such that players exhibiting signs of illness are not admitted.
Please note that all the above is subject to change at any point during these uncertain times.
Director of Operations
CC: ACBL Board of Directors